Sunday 26 May 2013

Universal Cross Joint

The part that I am going to learn today is the Universal Cross Joints. I was given a 2-pieces driveshaft with cross joints and the Servicing Driveline Units practical instructions manual.

Image of a 2-piece driveshaft with universal cross joint.


I began with checking on the phasing of the yoke, the shaft's runout and the movement of the cross joint. Making sure that every pieces of metal is straight, damage free and even rust free.
Image of checking driveshaft's runout with a DTI gauge.


Then I started to take the shaft apart by resting it on a vice, and slightly tapping the area below the yoke with a ball-pein hammer to make the joint cap pop out from the yoke. I rotated the yoke and removed the caps one by one. And then I found out that 3 out of 4 clirclips on each caps went missing, the remaining 1is in a very bad condition and needs a new replacement. There are also short of needle rollers inside the caps.

Image of yoke, cross, o-ring, caps, needle rollers and cir clip.


I would have replaced the joint if I was in a workshop as the issue of missing circlips and needle rollers are the sign of the universal joint getting worn out in long run and it may cause squeaking and grinding sounds when the car is moving.


No comments:

Post a Comment